There is no doubt about it – Excel is one powerful tool. However, it does have its limitations. That is where add-ins come in to play. Microsoft has been kind enough to open its code base and allow third party developers to extend the functionality of Excel. These add-ins make data analysis and manipulation easier and have practical applications in the business world. Below you find a list of 50 useful paid and (mostly) free Excel add-ins that will help you with just about any endeavor you have.
- One of the classic add-ins for Excel is the Analysis Toolpak which does not come installed. (Mac installation instructions). Mac/PC, Multiple Editions.
- The Excel Solver tool is another classic tool that requires extra unpacking (Mac directions). Mac/PC, Multiple Editions.
- The PowerPivot turns excel into a business intelligence tool. PC, 2010/13.
- Data Explorer is the newest data analysis tool and the preview is now available for download. PC, 2013.
- There are not a ton of add-ins for Mac but StatPlus for Mac is a must have data analysis too. Mac 2008/11.
- Get Federal Reserve data with the FRED add-in. PC/Mac, Multiple Editions.
- Need more data? Get US Crime Stats from Data.gov. PC, 2013.
- SimTools and FormList add stats functions and procedures to perform Monte Carlo simulations and risk analysis. PC, Version 5 (old!) and later.
- Need to make some forecasts? This Data Forecasting add-in can use several forcasting methods including moving average, exponential smoothing, regression and double exponential smoothing and comes with a template to experiment with. PC, 2003.
- Need to generate some random numbers? Then check out this Random Number Generator. PC, 2013.
- Get visual with maps with the new Heat Map add-in. PC 2013.
- Draw diagrams and flowcharts fast and easy with Lucid Charts. PC 2013.
- Spice up your measure of progress with a gauge display. PC 2013.
- Looking to get creative with the way you report your data? Try this Radial Bar Chart. PC 2013.
- Show your data in a fun and interactive way with this Bubbles display add-in. PC 2013.
- Bring structure to your ideas with the click of a button with the Mind Mapper addin ($2.99). PC 2013.
- GeoFlow is the newest addition to Microsoft Excel and adds complex data visualization to Excel. It’s not available yet but check out this preview. PC 2013.
- Label chart data points with the XY Chart Labler. Mac/PC, Multiple Editions.
- Risk optimize your investments with this equity optimization add-in (comes with demo template). PC, Multiple Editions.
- Download quotes and technical analysis metrics with AnalyzerXL (Starts at $49.95, free versions available for TDAmeritrade and Forex.com customers). PC, Multiple Editions.
- Evaluate risk for investments for business projects with this Risk Analyzer ($49.95). PC, 2003.
Test Your Excel Skills
- The Excel Model Creator adds a wizard to Excel that will allow you to make models for almost any business situation including sales, financial statements, and asset modeling. PC, 2013.
- Determine the best long term project with this Capital Budgeting add-in (comes with demo template). PC, Multiple Editions.
- Manage projects, budgets, and collaborate with Mavenlink, the ultimate project management add-in. PC, 2013.
- Track, analyze, and make re-ordering easy with the Inventory Analysis add-in. (comes with demo template). PC, Multiple Editions.
- Show context related tweets in the sidebar of your Excel sheet with ExTweet. PC, 2013.
- Visualize, share, and mine Google Analytics add-in with Excellent Analytics. PC, 2007/10.
- SEO Gadget has some cool add-ins for the Adwords API, Mozscape API, and Link Categorization. PC, Multiple Editions.
- Do you use SEOlytics or Majestic SEO? Then check out Neil Bosma’s SEO Tools for Excel which integrates with those two services as well as Adwords and Google Analytics. PC, Multiple Editions.
- Integrate QR codes into all your Excel docs with QR4Office. PC, 2013.
- Balance your checkbook in Excel with this free Checkbook Assistant, PC, Multiple Editions.
- Perform quick loan calculations and analysis with the Loan Assistant ($24.95). PC, Multiple Editions.
- Make learning fun and easy with the free Flash Card Generator. PC, Multiple Editions.
Utilities & Productivity Tools
- ASAP Utilities ($49, free trial available) adds over 300 new functions to Excel, enough to fill up its own Ribbon and makes Excel easier to use. PC, Multiple Editions.
- AbleBits Utility Pack ($99, free trial available) adds 20+ smart data manipulation tools. A handfull of these features are now free for Excel 2013. PC, Multiple Editions.
- Macabus Productivity Tools ($9.95, freeware version available) adds almost 200 new functions including auditing, formatting, and modeling tools, including 130 new shortcuts. PC, Multiple Editions.
- Need to slice, dice, and merge? Mr. Excel’s Easy-XL ($89, free trial available) adds over data analysis and manipulation tools. PC, 2010.
- The DigDB Toolkit a ($78/year) adds 40 advanced data analysis tools to Excel. PC, 2007/10.
- Not sure which one to pick? Then try out the free Power Pak from John Walkenbach’s The Spreadsheet Page. PC, Multiple Editions.
- Have a Mac? Then try Ron de Bruin’s Power Pack for Mac 2011.
- Convert standard measurements to metric with the Unit Converter, PC, 2013.
- Quickly convert to any currency with the Exchange Rate Converter ($34.90). PC, 2000 and later.
- Enter dates quicker with the Calendar entry add-in. PC 2013. (Mac version available).
- If you are in excel all the time this favorite workbooks bookmarker will help you get back to your most active workbooks quickly. PC, Multiple Editions.
- Find, replace, or delete duplicates in massive spreadsheets with this Duplicate Finder ($24.95). PC, Multiple Editions.
- BrushTools ($37) adds color to your spreadsheet to help you distinguish between input, formula, linked, and calculation cells. PC, 2007/10.
- Find the differences between cell blocks with the DiffEnginex”s Select Diff Tool ($1.99). PC, 2010.
- Track, analyse, and display time dimensions with a few clicks with the Create Time Dimension add-in. PC, 2013.
- Simple and easy emailing from Excel with RDBMail. (Mac version available). 2007 and later editions.
- If you made it all the way through this list then this Add-in Manager will you manage all your new add-ins. PC, Multiple Editions.
Advanced Add-In Information
- Discern the differences between COM and Automation Add-ins.
- Can’t find the add-in you want? Then Build your own add-in.
Excel Just Became Easier!
If you are interested checking out more paid and free Excel add-ins, try the Microsoft App Store, Add-Ins.com ($), and OzGrids ($). Many data analysis tools and software platforms have their own add-ins such as Tableau, MATLAB, and Bloomberg so if you are working with a similar platform it is possible your provider has an add-in for you. If you love add-ins please share this page with your friends and bookmark our page to come back periodically as we plan to update the list whenever we find new and cool add-ins. If you are looking for Excel tools and resources than consider taking a peek at our Excel mega resource list which includes templates, apps, tutorials, and courses. Best of luck with your new add-ins!
|Courses||9 Online Courses to Help You Master Excel|
|Downloads||50+ Excel Templates & Dashboards|
|Add-Ins||50+ Excel Add-ins to Help You Step Up Your Excel Game|
|Gurus||6 Excel Gurus to Study Under|
|References||40 Free Excel Tutorials & Reference Sites|
|Blog||12 Data Points That Prove Learning Excel Will Increase Your Salary|
|Jobs||6 Jobs for Excel Power Users|
|Advanced||Advanced Excel and VBA Programming|